Board Disclaimer

Please, do not forget that this is a public forum.
This means that whatever you post here will be visible to the public and search engines. Your posts could be found through search engines. For this reason we ask you not to post personally identifiable information about yourself, such as your email address.

Upper eye scarring

For patients who have had (or are considering) eyelid surgery at the same time as their Advanced Mini Facelift.
popsicle

Upper eye scarring

Postby popsicle » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:31 am

I am booked in for an AMF and upper blepharoplasty in October. I am very nervous about the eye scarring as have read some posts which say the scars are red and lumpy for quite some time afterwards.
Can anybody give me any info/photos to put my my mind at rest.
I would rather leave the eyes alone than end up with scarring as I'm sure it would be quite difficult to hide!
Thanks in advance

Rae

Re: Upper eye scarring

Postby Rae » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Popsicle

I had my upper eyelids, (as well as a full face and neck lift), done in May and the scarring on my eyelids really wasn't that bad. Nobody noticed I'd had it done but it helped that I wore glasses. I bought L'Oreal la touché magique which is brilliant for covering any redness along the scar. I was a little worried as my eyes didn't look identical afterwards but when I looked at previous photos they weren't the same then either. The eyelids are the quickest to heal and now there's only a very faint line that nobody would notice. In fact I've just looked at my eyelids and can't even see a line on one of them ( my eyelids have healed differently). It's amazing! People who know I've had my eyes done say they're amazed as they can't see any sign of it - and that's with them looking closely!

I'm now almost 3 months post op and very happy with what I've had done. I can only say that if you're not happy with your eyes and you are having an AMF then it would be best to have it done at the same time as you get it over with all at once. If you don't you'll still be contemplating having it done at a later date. Yes your eyelids will be a bit red straight afterwards but only what you'd expect after having the op. Give it a couple of weeks and it'll be fine. Hope this is helpful

Rae
Jax

Postby Jax » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:59 am

Hi
I had an upper blepharoplasty 4 weeks ago. The scars are still red and bumpy, but easily disguised (I use Vichy Dermablend cover stick). I am now wearing full make-up and no-one can notice the scars as they are in the crease. My left eyelid is still slightly swollen, but again only really noticeable to me. There is a slight asymmetry in lid size (which is probably due to the swelling), but as each eye recovers at its own pace, this may well settle down as it is still early days yet. Overall I am really pleased with the results so far, but I did do my research and was not expecting perfection so I think that helped with expectations. My eyes look more open and bright and the only regret I have is that I did not get the lower lids done at the same time!!
Here is a summary of the procedure for me:

Went into the Spire hospital, everything was explained really clearly and Dr Guest came to see me to confirm final arrangements.
Went down to theatre - the worst bit was getting the local anaesthetic put in, but this was more uncomfortable than painful. The operation itself only lasted 30 minutes (no pain) - was then taken back to my room.
Had to remain in hospital for a few hours to ensure everthing was OK.
When I went home I put icepacks on my eyes every few hours. I used two pillows at night, and put the anti-bacterial cream on as advised by the nurse.
The next day my eyes were swollen, but not as bruised as I had imagined. Swelling increased over the next two days (on eyelids and under eyes and cheeks), but no real bruising.
Had my stitches out a week later. Swelling has gradually reduced, but there are still some little areas present. Continued using the anti-bacterial cream for a few more days until the incisions were all completely healed over. Then switched to using Dermatrix silicone scar gel. This really helped with the itching and 'pulling' of the scars. It also reduced the redness. Stopped using this at three weeks as things had started to settle down on their own.
Now I am at 4 weeks. The scars still feel 'tight', but this is to be expected and it is not uncomfortable. The feeling along my eyelash line is slowly coming back, although there is still some numbness which feels peculiar when applying make-up! I occasionally get some 'prickly feeling' on my eyes, but apparantly this is due to internal healing.
I looked at loads of 'before and after' pictures on the net and found this one on Youtube particularly helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GEkSO47O0o
(or type in: upper blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) recovery story with photos)
Grace Black

Postby Grace Black » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:27 am

I had and Advanced Mini + upper and lower eyelids in April. All is now fully healed and I have no visible scars. On one upper eyelid there is a tiny pale bump (about pinhead size) but it is barely noticeable. I did not tell anybody that I was having the procedure and the only comments I have received is that I look 10 - 20 years younger. Everything looks natural and I am happy with any imperfections - they are what gives our faces character. I was not nervous about the procedure and I suppose I had fairly low expectations; I did not want to change myself, just refresh and roll the clock back a little, though I was determined to have the procedure as I would always have wondered 'what if', had I not undergone the experience.

I wonder whether feeling particularly nervous could be an indication that you are not yet certain about what you want the outcome to be. My view is that you do need to be very sure of what and why you are undertaking the procedure; I found it surprisingly painful afterwards and it was only my conviction that it was right for me that made the first couple of painful weeks bearable. Even so, I would definitely do it again in about 10 years (providing Mr Guest was the surgeon!).
tez

Postby tez » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi Popsicle

I had an amf and double bleph - upper and lower eyes - done about a year and a half ago. The scars along my hairline are hardly visible - faint white lines. Behind the ears the scars do show - on one side as a white mark. The ears from behind do look a little strange in the crease. Mr Guest has agreed to see if he can improve the scar on one side.

As for the eyes, I still have some redness especially over one eye but no scar visible. on the other eye I do have a visible line of slightly ridged scarring but less redness. I can cover the red with concealer which lasts for a time. It's not that bad really but a surprise as patchy pink was not something I expected. The upper eye scar is something I shall live with rather than get it seen to. It sits just above the eye crease so with my eyes full open doesn't show. It only shows when I lower or close my eyelid.

I think you have to weigh up the fresh new eye look which I do like, with the possible scarring, which is a shame.
Noone can predict which way the scarring will go and many on here are happy with the result re scars. I was I think just a bit unlucky.

I have to say I probably look my age, but in a good way rather than in a tired way...and that is Good!

May I wish you good luck and easy healing.

Look after yourself.

Return to “Advanced mini facelift and blepharoplasty”