Board Disclaimer

Please, do not forget that this is a public forum.
This means that whatever you post here will be visible to the public and search engines. Your posts could be found through search engines. For this reason we ask you not to post personally identifiable information about yourself, such as your email address.

POST OP TIPS

For patients who have had (or are considering) eyelid surgery at the same time as their Advanced Mini Facelift.
frances

POST OP TIPS

Postby frances » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:26 pm

I had an Advanced Mini facelift and upper and lower blepharoplasty 4 weeks ago. My upper eye scars are still red and I'm still numb around my ears but it is early days.
Before I had the surgery I researched this forum and found lots of great tips that really helped my recovery. I want to thank everyone who put them on here. I thought it might be useful to put them all together...

1, I slept on a reclining chair for the full two weeks on my back and as upright as possible. I found this much better than a bed and every time I found myself rolling over on my side I quickly sat up and remembered why I was doing this and all the money I'd spent..

2, A large V cushion helped in keeping me propped up too.

3, Arnica/Calendula Urtica cream and arnica tablets from Ainsworth Homoeopathic Pharmacy in London. Great for bruises. I bruise easily as I'm fair but within a week my bruises were gone. It does dry your skin though but I did put on loads...

4, Teosyal covering repair corrective foundation is a great concealer and hides the upper eye scars really well. The lower eye scars look like eye liner so no problems there.

5, Bio-Oil, I'm putting this on all my scars but not sure if its helping, I'll carry on using it anyway as it can't do any harm.

6, I bought some Airol/Tretion cream online because its meant to erase the scars and after more research I discovered it can get rid of lines and wrinkles, WOW I live in hope. I've only just started using it so its too soon to know but hey I'll try anything once.!!

7, A 12+ magnifying mirror is a must. I got one with a suction on the back so can be stuck on a wall leaving you hands free..

I will update my progress in about 4 weeks time. Any questions please ask and Good Luck to you all...
frances

sue burge

Re: POST OP TIPS

Postby sue burge » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:04 am

Hi thanks for the tips. Did you get much swelling?
frances

Postby frances » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi
No I didn't get much swelling , I put this down to sleeping in a recliner as upright as possible. Not easy but you do get used to it.
Frances
Bertie

Postby Bertie » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:11 pm

I found these suggestions really helpful, thank you. Two additional ones from me to anyone still with this to come.

1. Take into hospital a small sized, manual toothbrush - a child's-size one would be perfect. As it is hard to open your mouth on day 1 cleaning teeth is a challenge anyway - the vibration of an electric toothbrush was too much for me. Fortunately I had a small travel toothbrush in my handbag which did the trick. Your mouth will likely taste like the bottom of a budgie cage post-op because of the meds, so being able to clean your teeth / refresh your mouth will be important. A tin of refreshing mints / boiled sweets to suck might help. I used a small manual toothbrush for several days after until mouth stretching became easier.

2. Treat yourself to a full-face cooling gel mask. You can get these off the internet. On day 2 -3 when the swelling / stretching discomfort was at it's worst, this was lovely and cooling and I believe helped the swelling subside. By day 4 the need for this had passed. Along with your head-support and any stiches under your bruised eyes (if you have had these done as well), a coloured gel mask should complete the 'Halloween special' look perfectly.

With the straps you should be able to position the mask without placing this directly on any of the wounds, and obviously be scrupulous about hygiene and cleaning the mask before each use (and then put in a new plastic bag every time you put it in the fridge to cool to ensure it remains clean).

And as several people have said elsewhere on this forum, don't panic especially around days 3-4 when the swelling seems to look at it's worst. It really does go down and then quite quickly, but for me there were definitely moments when the panic did set in and I worried I would stay that way.

Return to “Advanced mini facelift and blepharoplasty”