Board Disclaimer

Please, do not forget that this is a public forum.
This means that whatever you post here will be visible to the public and search engines. Your posts could be found through search engines. For this reason we ask you not to post personally identifiable information about yourself, such as your email address.

My AMF, neck lift & blepharoplasties

For patients who have had (or are considering) eyelid surgery at the same time as their Advanced Mini Facelift.
HeatherV2

My AMF, neck lift & blepharoplasties

Postby HeatherV2 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:26 am

As my face was beginning to sag together with my eyelids and neck, I had thought of having a facelift sometime in the future but probably would not actually have had one as I didn't really want a general anaesthetic. So you can imagine my delight when, aged 61, I found ME cosmetic surgery on the internet, facelift surgery with no general anaesthetic, only sedation!

I read the website and the forum (which I found extremely helpful) and I felt ALMOST confident that I would be going to the right surgeon. Fortunately, a friend's son is a doctor studying maxillofacial surgery and when I mentioned Mr. Guest he knew of him immediately and assured me that I would be in very good hands. He said he is " very highly regarded within his profession", and " ahead of the game", From then on I (obviously) felt ABSOLUTELY confident and had no fear and I wanted it done "yesterday"!

I had my 1st consultation with Mr Guest, registered for fast track and I had my AMF, necklift (Mr Guest said it would be better to have it but that the result would be minimal. I decided to have it to get the best possible result), upper and lower blephoplasties and dermaroller on 12th November 2011, and 3 and a half weeks later I am delighted with the results. I still have some swelling and numbness in front of my ears and down to my jawline and have only in the last couple of days been able to feel my jawbone in that area from below. I also had a curious swelling under my chin which felt like a small rectangular block but this is all going slowly and surely. I bruised under my eyes more that Mr Guest thought that I would and still have a very small dark bruise under one eye which is easily covered with concealer and this gets less every day. No one notices the swelling except me and I am so pleased that the results are so natural and that I don't look as if I've been through a wind tunnel. I wanted to get rid of the sag and to look brighter, and, yes, a little younger if possible and Mr Guest has achieved that for me, My neck feels slimmer and longer too. That's a real bonus!
I firmly believe in the " 60 is the new 40" theory. Although I am 61, I am active, wouldn't dream of dressing my age, do pilates, walk the dogs etc and now I have a face to match. Fabulous!

I have found it incredible that it has been a totally pain- free experience apart from once when I was returned to my room after surgery and a nurse put very cold pads on my eyes. That was very painful, but they were swiftly removed and I was given some pain killers which did the trick. From then until now I have not needed pain killers at all. I believe that I have a low pain threshold, so it is astonishing that I have had all this surgery and not felt any pain or discomfort. This is, I'm sure down to Mr. Guest's skill and care.

The staff at the hospital were very kind and professional and Molly has shown me endless patience and has organised it all so efficiently. Dr Sasada did a great job of putting me at my ease and looking after my sedation. Mr Guest is a lovely man and very caring apart from being the "simply the best" surgeon. I could not have asked for more.
If anyone were to ask me if I would go through it again, then my answer would be yes, definitely. So for anyone reading this, I hope my experience has reassured you.

HeatherV2

Re: My AMF, neck lift & blepharoplasties

Postby HeatherV2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:01 pm

My situation seems to be very similar to yours. I thought my husband would be very much against it and I certainly hid it from him for quite some time, but surprisingly, once he knew, he was all for it. One of my daughters was perfectly ok about it, but the other was worried that i wouldn't look like me. I had a lot of comments from friends saying that I didn't need it and that I was a less likely case for facelift surgery than anyone they knew, but I think they were being kind! The 'before' pictures that Mr. Guest took of me confirmed that it was something that had to be done without question. Now, my eldest daughter thinks it is a fantastic result as it is so natural and realises that her fears were unfounded. I have a friend who is now booked in for March for an AMF and Dermaroller and another friend, a male doctor, who is very interested in seeing Mr. Guest for upper and lower blepharoplasties, and has a consultation early in January when I have my follow-up. I think my result speaks for itself. It has spurred others to go for it!

I also had a Dermaroller treatment at the same time which was carried out by Dr. Sasada and I have not commented on the forum until now. My skin has always been very good (not to me, as I have always scrutinised it in a magnifying mirror) but I have always had complimentary comments from friends and colleagues asking me what products I used. I am having even more comments now and I have less small wrinkles and my pores are more refined, so I would say that it has been a success and I intend going back to have at least one more treatment.
HeatherV2

Postby HeatherV2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:06 pm

I think that it is possible to book a Dermaroller ( to have at the same time as the surgery) quite late on, but it might be worth speaking to Molly about it.

You seem to be very positive about it all. I think that once you get your head around having it done you become quite excited. I know that I was not in the least worried about it, especially nearer to the time, because I was convinced that I was doing the right thing. One thing I would say is that I told friends and colleagues about it because I thought it was easier in the long run. I was not ashamed of having it done and didn't want the worry of having to hide from people afterwards. Perhaps that is another reason why I felt so relaxed.
HeatherV2

Postby HeatherV2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:11 pm

I have felt shallow and trivial too. All these thoughts have gone through my head and I would suppose go through the heads of most of us but not having it done is not going to help those ladies who cannot afford it. I would urge you to put away those feelings because I'm sure you have been selfless all your life and it is now time for You and to make You feel better!
HeatherV2

Postby HeatherV2 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:59 pm

3 months after surgery.

I am still thrilled with the result and I am so happy that I look in the mirror now and see 'me'.

I still feel a little numb in front of my ears and my behind-the-ear scars feel a little lumpy, but neither of these concern me as I'm sure that given time they will heal completely. Even if they don't, it will be a small price to pay! All my other scars are fading and are just a pale pink now and would only be noticeable if someone was looking for them. The swelling has all gone together with the 'block' of swelling under my chin, and my neck-lift scar under my chin is almost flat and cannot be seen at all. I don't feel any strange sensations anywhere, the only evidence of my having had surgery is in the way I look now. Altogether a very good result, and as I've said before I am SO pleased that I have had it done.
Lynne

Postby Lynne » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks you so much for your helpful posts. I have been reading them with interest as I had these procedures myself 5 days ago.

I didn't experience any pain at all during the surgery and only a little after the local aesthetic had worn off but I was mentally prepared for that and it was manageable. The team at the Spire are absolutely fab and I have can honestly say that I have no criticism at all.

I still have black eyes and still quite a bit of swelling but I did venture out to the bank earlier today wearing sun glasses and appear to have got away with it! Even at this early stage I can see that the results are going to be good and I have absolutely no regrets about all three procedures. I catch rather spooky glimpses in the mirror of a younger me. It’s a face I recognise but one I had forgotten or recall from earlier photographs.

Just to add to the really useful advice already on this board for anyone about to have this surgery my tips are these:

Don’t worry, relax you are in very safe hands
Don’t imagine that you are going to put your two weeks off work to good use by cleaning the house from top to bottom, going to the gym everyday and generally get on top of all those things that you are behind with. (Like I thought!!!!) You are not going anywhere or doing anything for at least a week so rest up and catch up with daytime TV instead is my advice and don’t put any strain at all on those stitches.
Might be an idea to take something you can listen to in the hospital e.g. iPod or talking book- I found my eyes were a bit too swollen for reading or watching television.
Don’t be tempted to internet shop when you are recuperating and bored - it can be very expensive - as I am finding!!

Anyway, I will be back in a few weeks time to let you know how things are progressing.

Return to “Advanced mini facelift and blepharoplasty”