Board Disclaimer

Please, do not forget that this is a public forum.
This means that whatever you post here will be visible to the public and search engines. Your posts could be found through search engines. For this reason we ask you not to post personally identifiable information about yourself, such as your email address.

AMF and eyelift 3 weeks on

For patients who have had (or are considering) eyelid surgery at the same time as their Advanced Mini Facelift.
tatum

AMF and eyelift 3 weeks on

Postby tatum » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Well I feel like I’ve been on quite a journey. I’m naturally an impatient person and one of the first pieces of advice I’d give to anyone at all like me is learn some patience and be prepared for a little wait before rushing to judgement.

I had the advanced mini face lift and an upper eye lift done on Saturday 23rd July. Everyone at the hospital – all the fantastic nurses, as well as Mr Guest and Mr Sassada, the anaesthetist were very caring and supportive. The Spires Hospital was a great place to be especially when you’re doing something a way from home and a big step into the unknown.
I decided to have these ops done, not because I was dissatisfied with my looks – in fact many people comment that I looked quite a lot younger than my 55 years – but because I thought it would be a) nice to reduce the considerable downward nose to mouth lines and marionette lines, tighten up my jaw a bit, and b) remove my ‘beginning to hood’ upper eyes.

I wasn’t for one moment scared, anxious or doubting my decision: the op was absolutely fine and I remember very little – the time zoomed by incredibly fast.
Back in the room I was bandaged and was unable to eat the food provided- opening my jaw was decidedly uncomfortable. Also lying semi upright proved over the coming days to be unpleasant – but I’m back to sleeping face down on my tummy now and have been for about a week.
The discomfort was merely that – I can’t say I was in pain at any time post op.
It was wonderful to shower the following morning but I must say I was shocked to see the much widened face around my cheekbones and although this was due to swelling I was concerned that I was going to look like I’d definitely had a face lift – not a look I was after. I stayed in the Bristol area for about a week which allowed me to have the stitches removed from my eyes on the Wednesday.
By this time I’d become very emotional indeed. I was crying quite considerably and whether this was an after effect of the anaesthesia, or my own fears of how I was going to look, I don’t know. So I warn others that they may feel overcome with some conflicting emotions.
Also it was all more uncomfortable than I think I’d anticipated. I was never in pain but the tightness, the pulling around the back of my left ear, the difficulty in sleeping- I don’t think I ‘d thought through the consequences of facial surgery and so was rather beginning to regret what I’d done.
Having the facial stitches out the following Wednesday was a great relief and again on both occasions the nurses who removed my stitches could not have been nicer and brilliant at their job- it was absolutely fine.

So where am I now -emotionally and physically? Well I’m really pleased with the results! My eyes look great and the wide cheekboned look has disappeared and replaced with a tighter jawline and reduced facial lines –great. Two people who say me earlier this week said how well I was looking and put it down to a new hair colour I was using! The tightness around the ear has lessened hugely and the strange facial numbness has really reduced –(not gone though). I’m back to wearing my contact lenses and have been wearing makeup for about a week.
I think I’d advise anyone who has having this done to:
expect more discomfort than I had anticipated; expect the results to not show until a good two weeks in, and to be patient! As Mr Guest said to me when I was sobbing: “It’s surgery you’ve had not magic!”

I would also like to say thanks to Molly who has called me twice since the operation to see how I’m doing – it’s really been appreciated.

dlhoward

Re: AMF and eyelift 3 weeks on

Postby dlhoward » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 am

Hi, I had the same surgery on Aug 6th. Quick question your eye scars are they flattening out a bit?
On me, one eye is quite good the other eye scar is quite bumpy. i've been massaging with bio oil and this does seem to have improved slightly.
Yes the pulling thing is quite weird, difficult to explain. I think they should warn you of this weird wide look at first because it is quite scary.
my eyes are still swollen underneath and one is causing the corner of one eye to pull but I'm sure this will go down after a while. On the whole I'm very pleased but like you nobody has really said anything which is a bit dissapointing but I can see a big improvement - oh well I suppose nobody is expecting facelifts in this country are they and thats why they would never expect it. D x
tatum

Postby tatum » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi there
I'm so happy with the results! I've always worn eye shadow etc so any bumpiness is covered by that. Occasionally my inner ears have a strange cold/wet sensation - nothing unpleasant. I never thought I'd be so "turned around" in my feelings as I really did wonder why I had done it done initially. I've had alot of very positive comments but only told those I want to!
Best of luck with the rest of your recovery.
dlhoward

Postby dlhoward » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi, my scars are really improving now on my eyes, really flattening out and looking much better. I am getting a bit more under eye swelling and dark circles which I'm not happy about , seems you fix one problem and then another one appears, but must be patient. On the whole I'm really appy as the look is very natural. Just waitingf now so I can have my dermaroller ut apparantly you have to wait at least 3 months to have any otox, fillers or anything else! Dx

Return to “Advanced mini facelift and blepharoplasty”