Board Disclaimer

Please, do not forget that this is a public forum.
This means that whatever you post here will be visible to the public and search engines. Your posts could be found through search engines. For this reason we ask you not to post personally identifiable information about yourself, such as your email address.

AMF + upper eyelid - 3 days post op

For patients who have had (or are considering) eyelid surgery at the same time as their Advanced Mini Facelift.
dlhoward

AMF + upper eyelid - 3 days post op

Postby dlhoward » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi everyone, I have left it 3 days until posting comments as I think it has taken me that long to feel up to it.
Everything with the surgery went well, I did not have the lateral brow lift but did have the upper eyelid. All staff where lovely. So how do I look, well I'm still very swollen, I do tend to swell and bruise a lot so had expected this. My chin is literally chiselled, I know this will drop slightly after a few months which will be fine. With the eyes combined I have swollen sideways so it as given my face a perculiar wide shape which has taken a while to get used to but this has already started to go down and I know this will totally disappear once all the swelling has gone. I think its important to remember that particularly with combined eyelid the results will not be instant and could look really weird for a while until swelling has gone.

I am getting my nurse friend to remove my eye stitches tomorrow (Dr Guest said this is ok as i live 3 hours away and honestly couldn't do the journey just yet) and then i will have my facial stitches removed next wednesday which i may or may not make the journey for depending on how I feel and if I need to discuss anything with Dr Guest. All in all I am pleased with results but just impatient for everything to go back to normal so I can see full results. I will write again soon on my tips, things to take with you for surgery etc, + I may post photos soon which I have been taking everyday to show differences.

Hope this helps, good luck everyone. Dawn

dlhoward

Re: AMF + upper eyelid - 3 days post op

Postby dlhoward » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi, its me again. Well it has been 5 days now post op and I feel really good. I had stitches removed frommy eyes yesterday which took about 5 minutes and was realy painless. Swelling and bruising are going and I think I look at least 10 years younger. I think the real test will be when I can put makeup on and go out into the world. I did go out yesterday with my sunglasses on and told everyone because it was raining and I did look a little silly, that I had had laser eye surgery. Molly called today from ME to see how I was doing which was nice. I had the beginnings of a very slight infection in my eye yesterday after stitches where removed so have taken some precautionary antibiotics and today it looks a lot better, better to be safe than sorry.

anyway a couple of tips

Take your before pictures! These are best no makeup and natural light. Take your after in exactly the same way. Most before and after photos always have different light and more makeup which I find realy irritating and is not a true comparison -you forget what you looked like so its important.

Things that I think you should consider taking with you or to have post operatively -

A travel pillow (the ones which support your neck) or V shaped pillow - I think the worst post operative problem is not being able to lie down flat or lie on your side of your face is the worst, so think ahead for this. I took mine with me which really helped me get through that first night.

Take a mirror with you. I bought a x12 which is the simultaneously the best and worst thing you will ever buy, the best and worst because you can see everything! E.g. one of the stitches on my eyes was sticking in me and I could see that on the x12. its just you want to look at your face all the time and even when you get home and don't feel like getting up it really is handy.

Take a pair of sunglasses with you if you have to travel any distance. We had to stop off at services and I was really pleased I had brought mine. Take a scarf if your hair is not below your neck as the drains (bruises) make you look like you've been strangled.

I will post more in a few days, any questions please feel free to ask. Dx
dlhoward

Postby dlhoward » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi, its me again. Its now been 3 1/2 weeks since surgery. I'm back at work and everything is fine. My scars to the sides are easily covered with makeup and my eye scars are flattening out a bit now as they where quite bumpy to start with. I am massaging every day twice a day with bio oil which I really think has helped.

I think i look about 10 years younger, not really different just younger and fresher. People who don't know I've had surgery haven't said anything those who do are quite suprised how natural the results are.

I'm still a bit swollen at the very sides of my face and a bit numb. Under my eyes (eye bags) are a little bit more swollen than normal and one eye is kind of pulling in the inner corner , but its minimal and will go with the swelling. I'm so glad I had the combined eye surgery though because my eyes look a lot bigger and therefore younger so the combination of having the 2 surgeries is much better.

My neck is quite tight so turning my head at first was difficult. I still can't really turn and lift at the same time like up dioganally as there is just not the skin there but this doesn't bother me at all as I would rather have a really tight jaw line and its not something I need to do. This will probably improve with time but as said I would rather have a tight chin.

on the whole I am very pleased and would strongly advise anyone who keeps looking in the mirror and thinking about it to have it done. But I would say that once you have one thing done is does make everything else look worse , like if you do one room in your house it just highlights how bad everything else is - so have your eyes done at the same time if you need it - it only costs about £800 (approx) more! Bargain! D x
dlhoward

Postby dlhoward » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi everyone. So it has now been 4 1/2 months since my surgery and everything is great. I was quite concerned for a while with thes scars above my eyes as they seemed to be puckered slightly but as the months have gone by the scars are virtually gone even without makeup.The scars around my ears you can hardly see at all also without makeup the ones above my ears are still slightly pink but with a small amount of concealer are undetectable and now the hair is about an inch now so covering those nicely.

My only concern was the swelling or pooling I asssume of lymph fluid that I had under my eyes which was very worrying for a while as it seemed that my neck an upper eyes looked great but my lower eyes looked worse. I think due to damaged lymph system through the surgery everything wasn't draining away properly. I remember having my eyelashes done and lieing in the same position for about 2 hours and when I got up my ears where killing me but after aout 10 minutes of getting up it went. I realised lymph fluid was pooling in that area and the extra pressure causing the swelling andthe pain. So I looked online for facial lymphatic drainage techniques which are very easy and started to do these and this definately helped the problem - check out videos on youtube.

I did that for a while but now it seems the lymph has started to drain itself and the swelling is gone alltogether. This kind of happened at the same time that alot of the sensation as started to come back to the sides of my face so it does take a while. So everything is back to normal minus of course the saggy skin.

I am pleased with the results they are subtle for me as I am only 45 but noticeable enough to keep me happy. I would however definately consider combining surgery as I did with upper eyelids or lower eyelid as this works out alot cheaper and although we tend to focus on one area that we are unhappy with once thats done it kind of highlights other areas that looked ok before. See my other post on combined surgeries on the main menu. Good luck anybody considering surgery and my advice is just go for it!
AngelaR

Postby AngelaR » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Hello Dawn, thanks for your feedback it's very helpful indeed. I'm looking at having the AMF this year - I too am quite young at 43 but I really do not like the signs of aging under my chin - loose skin and slackened jaw line and I think....why wait? Did you find that the AMF helped with these areas - particularly the loose skin? My main questions are about scarring. Please could you let me have your experience on the scarring? How long was it obvious for? What were they like at 3 months after? How easy is it to cover up? Does your hair get cut away at the temples? Can you wear your hair up afterwards? I currently wear my hair tied back a lot of the time - do the scars behind your ears show? How quickly did you get back to work and was it hard to cover up the scarring? Are you pleased you went through it? Was it worth it? So many questions - hope you don't mind, angela x
dlhoward

Postby dlhoward » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:02 am

Hi everyone,so its now been 7 months since my op and everything is fine. My scars are so healed that I don't even need any concealer and barely give them a second thought. All sensation has returned to the sides of my face.

on the negative the scars behind my ears are slightly lumpy and I have a small cyst which has appeared behind my right ear, I think this is the cause of the lymph pooling problems that I experienced and I am considering having this removed. My chin is not quite as chiseled as it was but I no longer sit in front of the mirror and keep pulling my face up on the sides (its so easy to forget what you looked like before) so it must be alot better. I am pleased with the results and would have it done again.

I am now going to have my under eyes done though but I am choosing a surgeon nearer to home, not because I don't think that Dr Guest is faulous, just because the follow up visits are just too far as I live in Manchester. If you're interested I have chosen Dr Douglas McGeorge ex head of the British Association of Plastic Surgeons.

I think surgery is like decorating, once you do one room your focus shifts to the other bits which now kind of don't look as good anymore! I also have regular botox which I think makes a massive difference but you have to do that at least every 4 months so you can reckon about £1000 per year. I also have areally good skin regime now using really good products,check out skinceuticals, particularly their CE ferulic.

I wish all you ladies waiting or thinking about surgery the best of luck. x
Caron1958

Postby Caron1958 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Dawn,

I am planning to have the AMF this year, is it possible you can send me some before and after photographs? I am really pleased for you that you are happy with your results.

My email address is cat_58@hotmail.co.uk

Kind Regards

Cat
dlhoward

Postby dlhoward » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi everyone, well its been nearly a year, this time last year I was all excited and nervous about my impending surgery. Everything has really settled down now, all the scars even the ones that where bumpy behind the ears have really flattened out and i dont give them a second thought now. The small cyst which had also come up just behind my earlobe has also disappeared which I am thrilled about. All in all I am very pleased with the surgery - I do not look plastic but very natural and nobody has ever asked if I have had any surgery done only that I don't look my age - perfect!
I am now due to have my lower bleph and lateral brow ( which I did want doing originally but which wasn't done due to lack of skin). Here again the muscle in the central part of the face will be moved and the fat moved back up - not taken away - as this puts everything back where it should be - avoid surgeons who remove fat as this doesn't work over time and makes the skin look thin and the eyes holowed. I'm not going with Dr Guest only because its really far for me - with the follow ups and everything, but would have no hesitation in recommending him for amf. Good luck girls, but you won't need it. Dawn x

Return to “Advanced mini facelift and blepharoplasty”