Board Disclaimer

Please, do not forget that this is a public forum.
This means that whatever you post here will be visible to the public and search engines. Your posts could be found through search engines. For this reason we ask you not to post personally identifiable information about yourself, such as your email address.

Where to stay

Details, recommendations and queries concerning local accommodation near the Spire Hospital in Bristol.
marita

Where to stay

Postby marita » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi Im scheduled in for July 17 with Mr Guest for AML just wondering if anyone can suggest a nice but super cheap B&B in the area close to the hospital? Also as expected I am getting nervous now and would really like to know if anyone has had major bruising and swelling as I am mnot sure what to expect and if I can maybe travel back to London the day after surgery rather than stay at a B&B I guess Im just worried about looking as though Ive been in a car crash and hiding away from everyone especially as I have to get back to work within a few days of the op so Im panicing about how bad I will look. I also only stopped smoking recently and am afraid that may result in slowing down healing and adding to worse bruising etc so if anyone else has had the procedure and was a smoker or gave up prior to the procedure then I would really appreciate your feed back. thanks girls

ginger56

Re: Where to stay

Postby ginger56 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi Marita,
It is now 5 wks after my AMF. I didn't have to check in until 10am so travelled down on the sat morning on an early train from London. I travelled back to London the day after my op, my husband picked me up in a car. I travelled back down on the wednesday by train to have my 1st stitches out. By then the bruising had really come out & I had very dark bruising mainly on my left side from my cheek right down to nearly my collar bone. I did take arnica tablets & used cream but i am very fair skinned & the bruising really showed. Luckily it was cooler & I wore a scarf & just kept my head low. My bruising took 2 weeks to fade & even when i went back the following wednesday to have the final stitches out I still had a lot of bruising. I did take 2 wks off work.
It has been so worth it, I am so happy. My husband & daughters think i look 10 yrs younger & they were the only ones i told. Everyone else just asks if i have lost weight & that i am looking great. My jaw line is back, no more ugly jowls & my neck is so much tighter.
Good luck to everyone, you won't regret your decision!
Sue. xx
linda23

Postby linda23 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi everyone
Im also scheduled to having a AMF and my eye bag removed on the 17th July and need somewhere to stay for a few nights.
i have already tried Ann who is fully booked can any of you gorgeous girls who have been through this have any suggestions,
ALSO can anyone tell me about the scarring around the ears as this is worrying me more than the procedure ?? Is it really noticeable - how long will it take to disappear - will i be able to hide it from my work colleagues and close friends ?? i have only told them about the eyes as they would try to persuade me against it , i have booked a week and a bit off work is this enough time out to get away with it ??
MANY THANX
Linda xx
Valliday

Postby Valliday » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:36 pm

Hi Linda,
I had mine done on 12 June, and as I said earlier, was on my own and I stayed for 3 nights at Alderman Apartments. It was ideal, as there was a supermarket just down the street. Other than that, I just hid myself away, and enjoyed the break, until it was time to go home. I also found taxi drivers to be very helpful. If you need airport transfers, please let me know and I'll give you a phone number for the ones I used.
About your concerns about returning to work, and it being noticeable, there may still be bruising. Of course you could pass that off as having had your eyes done. The scars are very thin neat lines. I'm even wearing my hair up again already, (only 3 weeks post op), as I always have little wisps in front of my ears anyway. So if you have even a little length of hair, they won't be noticed.
Really, what does it matter once you've had it done? It's possible that anyone trying to dissuade you, simply wouldn't have the courage to do it themselves. You won't regret it. All the best.
Valliday
linda23

Postby linda23 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:38 am

Hi Valliday,
Thank you for you reply its been very helpful that would be great if you could pass on the taxi numbers and Alderman Apartments contact details.
Many Thanks
Linda x
Valliday

Postby Valliday » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi Linda,
Here are the contact details for the apartments, although I booked it through 'laterooms'. I don't know if it was a better deal or not. I think I paid just over £80 per night for a double. It had a seperate small lounge and open plan kitchen.

Alderman Apartments Ltd
199 a Whiteladies Road
Bristol, ,
0844 822 5778

The taxi firm I used was a lovely husband and wife team. Also I'd asked around for prices for airport transfers and they were the best,..£20 from the Spire to the airport. When I was in Bristol in March, I took the bus from the airport to the station,..which I think was about £10, then £5 for a taxi to my hotel, so it's easier to use the taxi.
They are,
Chirs and Siobhan
07702 112816

Hope this helps. All the best!
Valliday,...Rita
linda23

Postby linda23 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi Rita,
Thank you so very much for the information its really nice of you x i will be calling them first thing monday.
my fingers and toes are all crossed and now counting down the days !!!
Thanks again
Linda x
beatrice

Postby beatrice » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:57 pm

sorry linda Sue is full - T will ask her tomorrow if she can reccomend somewhere else

Return to “Accommodation”