Board Disclaimer

Please, do not forget that this is a public forum.
This means that whatever you post here will be visible to the public and search engines. Your posts could be found through search engines. For this reason we ask you not to post personally identifiable information about yourself, such as your email address.

Why I chose AMF with me Cosmetic Medicine

Comments and discussion about the Advanced Mini Facelift.
quercus

Why I chose AMF with me Cosmetic Medicine

Postby quercus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:39 pm

It is little more than 48 hours after my having the AMF procedure on Saturday 2 March at the very nice Spire Hospital in Bristol. I am at home and doing as I have been told, resting to allow healing to proceed as quickly as possible.

Yesterday, before leaving the hospital I was visited by both Mr Guest, the surgeon, and Dr Sasada, anaesthetist. Dr Sasada was interested to hear of my previous approaches to various other procedures as I had talked about this during the AMF procedure while under sedation. I do remember chatting but I don't remember what about, and hope I wasn't rude or inappropriate or anything. I didn't dare ask! Dr Sasada thought others using this forum may be interested to hear about this as well, so I will go through my experiences and reasons for choosing this procedure on a separate post on this thread.

It is too soon to tell if I have made the right decision, in fact I will never know how the others would have turned out, so impossible to speculate with any accuracy. What I do know and would like to acknowledge here, is that my experiences with this team so far have been positive. All the people I have had contact with, from the surgeon, anaesthetist and operating staff, through the various dedicated and friendly nurses, reception staff and caterers, have been helpful and friendly to a degree, putting me at my ease as much as possible, allaying anxieties and making me comfortable. I am very grateful and all have my sincere thanks.

Penny

quercus

Re: Why I chose AMF with me Cosmetic Medicine

Postby quercus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Day three after my surgery and not much discomfort now, I took one Cocodemol last night to help sleep really as the pain has gone. The area of the drains is tender still, and my ears don't feel as if they belong to me. The stitches are very neat, clean and dry with no inflammation. I am still adjusting to sleeping propped up and woke after the second night flat on my back where the pillows had slipped. No problems arose from it and my swelling had reduced well over night. I am using homeopathic remedies and resting a lot.

Before making the decision to go for the AMF I spent some time researching different procedures. Firstly I went and saw a Harley Street surgeon who assessed me for a full face lift and showed me before and after photos. He offered me fat transfer on my eyes as they are a bit sunken apparently. It was fairly major surgery that was offered and I decided that it was not for me. His after photos were very subtle, a bit too subtle as I had trouble seeing any improvement in the after shots. Obviously they were there but I wasn't impressed.

I lived for a while in Queensland and saw a couple of people, one on the Gold Coast sounded promising and also worked in what he called 'twilight', sedation and local anaesthetic. By the time my appointment arrived he could only offer injectables etc. A little online research and I found he was being investigated for carrying out surgery without the proper procedures. I don't remember all the details now but he possibly didn't use an anaesthetist, which is what Dr Sasada says happens in USA. I was also interested in a kind of thread lift offered by someone in Brisbane with a really good web site of pictures. He didn't have the forum that is such a strength of me Cosmetic Medicine but I found feedback from another forum which was mixed. The surgeon unfortunately does not have good inter personal skills and was quite offhand. He didn't answer my questions well enough to give me confidence in the longevity of the procedure. I had visions of the threads coming away, or stretching lopsidedly, and was not reassured.

Back in England I went to see someone at Dolan Park, one of a chain of private hospitals. The surgeon I was booked to see was a very experienced plastic surgeon but without much experience with face lifts, he was new to The Hospital Group. I decided not to go ahead at that time. Several months later I was contacted by the group with a special offer, so I went back and saw him again and he was quite confidence inspiring, so I paid a deposit and booked a date. With the time approaching, I had a letter from the hospital; that surgeon was no longer offering that procedure but they had a very experienced surgeon who was happy to talk to me about it. Back I went again for a consultation with a very forthright surgeon who examined my face and told me that what had been offered me (basically a full face lift) was completely wrong and possibly dangerous. I can't remember exactly what he said he could do for me instead because I felt quite shaken up by that time.

After this last experience my confidence was considerably dented and I forgot about any kind of cosmetic surgery for a while. When I came across this web site again, which I had seen before, I reassessed what my priorities are and decided that the AMF is less risky than some other procedures, and with an outcome that previous patients were mainly delighted with. It is also good having a few negative things on the forum as you feel you are getting a balanced view, and also what the worst thing is that is likely to happen. During my initial consultation with Mr Guest I felt that he made no false promises and that he is very experienced at what he does. That made me think that he would do it well. I particularly liked the absence of general anaesthetic but the attention of a very good anaesthetist, Dr Sasada, who is experienced at working with Mr Guest and his team.

Along with these experiences I have looked at numerous other options, including a surgeon recommended by Cindy Jackson, whose book I read. I visited that surgeon in Ringwood but he retired before I decided to book. His insurance had rocketed I expect, as he was having a bit of negative publicity after a problem court case. It is quite amazing to me that I have had a procedure at last. Before long I will know if it was all worth it! I am not pretty to look at, smooth skin but a stuffed sausage appearance, and what looks like a procession of blue spiders where the stitches are, but it's early days yet and I will report back in due course.

Penny
worm

Postby worm » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:34 pm

When deciding to go with "Me" I found this post very useful.
I had an unhappy 2013 and by the end of it I looked in the mirror and saw a face I hardly recognised looking back at me. I had not been a person who "took stock" of my appearance on a daily basis. I think the ageing process had been creeping up on me but that day in Nov 2013 I did have a proper look and decided I wasn't ready to accept I was going to look saggy (real age at that point 55). I began to consider the options. I did not want to look unnatural in any way.
When I found this website I was impressed but I am a cynical lawyer. I thought "is this too slick?" I read the forum. I saw Mr Guest. My conclusion was that the website is impressive because the Me team are excellent.
I was supposed to have an AMF last October but had to re-schedule. I am sitting typing this after having the procedure 10 hours ago.
I have had no pain although a nurse insisted I take a couple of painkillers " just in case".
Mr Guest and Dr Sasada are not only reassuringly professional but also very approachable and friendly.They are genuinely interested in you and want your experience to be a positive one.
They clearly do not "sit back on their laurels". They have evolved their procedures in light of medical advances for the benefit of their patients. For example, the neck drains which featured, in several posts, as something unpleasant to be endured are a thing of the past it seems. The website also seems to continue to evolve. It is unique in its presentation but that seems to be because the Me team are pretty unique themselves.
As to the outcome of my AMF I will have to wait and see. At the moment I am all bandaged up. I will post an update in due course.
worm

Postby worm » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Not sure if I posted a reply to your question. Thought I did but probably sent it to your email address.I am not sure if the question you pose is for myself or the original post but answering for myself:-
10 days post op. Still no pain. I have a little ridge of swelling on one side of my face (virtually imperceptible) where there was some (concealable) minor bruising. This, I trust, will resolve. It is tender to touch but otherwise I am not conscious of it. The bruising on my neck is slowly going. I have no idea why there is bruising there. I had no drains etc. The only thing I can think of is, as it is on the same side of my face as the bruising, that there was some pooling from the haematoma.Emphasises the benefit of sleeping upright.
When I look in the mirror I am very pleased with the result. I am not going to keep looking back and comparing before and after AMF. If I hadn't liked what I saw when I looked at myself post AMF then it would have been scant consolation to see that I looked even worse before!I think this will continue to be my view.
In my opinion, making the decision to have a cosmetic facial operation is one you have to be wholly committed to and know in your head and in your heart it is something you want to do. Then it is a question of finding the right team to trust with your face. The latter is a "no brainer", the former is a whole lot trickier.

Return to “Advanced Mini Facelift”