Board Disclaimer

Please, do not forget that this is a public forum.
This means that whatever you post here will be visible to the public and search engines. Your posts could be found through search engines. For this reason we ask you not to post personally identifiable information about yourself, such as your email address.

Removed by the original poster

Comments and discussion about the Advanced Mini Facelift.
smc

Removed by the original poster

Postby smc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Post removed by the original poster
Last edited by smc on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Firstclasscat

Re: AMF: an honest account 3 weeks on ... plus tips!!

Postby Firstclasscat » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi SMC

Thank you so very much for your terrific, informative post.

I have my consultation with Mr Guest next week and I am so looking forward to meeting him and, finding out what he can do for me.

I've copied your helpful tips into a file, for when its my turn.......:-)

Thanks again

W
dlhoward

Postby dlhoward » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:29 pm

thankyou so much for your tips, I have my appointment soon and will use your experience to help me through my surgery. Thanks, Dawn,
silvie

Postby silvie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:40 pm

A great post! We pre-op girls are hungry for information and your very detailed account is excellent.
Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi SMC,
My AMF is scheduled for sat 16th Sept, and to say I'm feeling apprehensive is an understatement. I have read your post a few times now and am going to follow your very useful tips (thanks). How did you find the removal of the drains was it very painful or just uncomfortable? I would love to hear how you are looking and feeling now and any further tips you may have.
Valliday

Postby Valliday » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi Taylor,
I had the AMF done in June. Re the drains. I had one removed the same day as the op, as I forgot about them, and dropped the bottle, when getting out of bed. The nurse said it then had to be removed, so gave me a couple of pain killers and an hour later she removed it very slowly and gently,...no problem at all.
The next day, I had 2 pain killers again, but this time a different 'male' nurse removed it, like ripping of an elastoplast! I made a point of not exclaiming, or I may have said something most unladylike.
Later when speaking to (I think) Dr Sasada, he asked how it had gone and I told him about the difference. He said he would make a note of this. I wonder if he did. It needn't be painful. Even if it is, it's only seconds. All things considered, I didn't find the AMF a painful experience. I'm sure I was asleep most of the time, or really don't remember much. Also, I had no trouble eating that evening. Having said that, I'd travelled down from Scotland early that morning, so was starving! I couldn't believe the main course was sandwiches...:-)
My scars healed very quickly and I was wearing my hair up after just about 3 weeks.
It will be over before you know it.
All the best!
Rita
blue45

Postby blue45 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:43 am

HI SMC SO GLADE THAT YOU WERE VERY HAPPY WITH THEWAY IT WENT AND I AM PLEASE FOR YOU .IM HAVEING MINE DONE ON 27 NOVEMBER 2010 'I AM GOING TO HAVE MY TOP AND LOWER EYES DONE AS WELL . I DONT KNOW IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE THAT MAY HAVE HAD IT DONE IF SO WHAT WAS IT LIKE.
I WILL REMEMBER WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THE FOOD ITS GOOD THAT YOU ARE TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT IT .IF YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS FROM BEFOR AND AFTERWOODS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM.
MRY EMAIL IS MAUREENMANEN@AOL.COM

MANY THANKS MAUREEN
Maureen

Postby Maureen » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:55 pm

What an excellent and informative review, you have answered practically all of the questions that have been on my mind. I have been considering this procedure for about 18 months now and have an appointment in December. The one thing that I have thought about is the scarring as I have a highish forehead and fine hair, what do you think?
Valliday

Postby Valliday » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi Maureen,
I had mine done in June, and can honestly say I don't have any scars. I wear my hair up/swept back. etc. I also had a tiny cyst removed from my forehead. Mr Guest did warn me, it would leave a bit of a scar, and I was suprised that it had 5 stitches, as it was a tiny thing. There's no scar from that either. I also have a high forehead, but the AMF doesn't touch the forehead.
Hope this helps.
Rita
susieb

Postby susieb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:19 pm

smc wrote:I’m 48 years old, with very few wrinkles around my eyes but my cheeks had begun to sag and overlap my jawline - those jowls were really bothering me: I had a face of ‘two halves’ - a youthful top part and an aging lower part. I’d tried every firming cream on the market but I was kidding myself that I could fight gravity and age with expensive lotions and potions!

I found Me online and made an appointment to see Mr Guest who was very kind, and totally honest about what he could and couldn’t fix for me. I’ve had a slight double chin all my life, no matter what my weight is. Mr Guest told me that the AMF would improve but not remove it totally, as it’s ‘part of me’, rather than just fat or loose skin, and of course as its name suggests the AMF is not a major lower face or neck lift. But he did say he could significantly improve my jowls and tighten the loose skin across my neck. His honesty gave me every confidence and I booked an AMF for as soon as I could.

The procedure was nothing to fear at all - Mr Guest, Dr Sasada and the team put me totally at ease; there was music playing and I talked non-stop throughout, as though I was drunk: I remember thinking at the time that everything I said was very important and interesting, though I have no recollection now of what I was saying! I honestly felt no pain during the op and after what felt like no time at all I was wheeled back to my room swathed in a very tight head bandage. It was a sweltering day and a fan in my room kept me as cool as possible, but the heat was the worst factor and a long night followed - propped up, hugging the bottles from my drainage tubes and feeling queasy from the painkillers and the heat. TIP 1: sandwiches are the only main course option for the evening meal, which you choose when you arrive at the hospital. I found it impossible to open my mouth wider than 1mm because of the tight bandage, and chewing was painful. So I recommend you choose TWO bowls of soup (with a straw!) and a yogurt, and you’ll be fine. Oh, and ask for your tea in a beaker for the same reason!

The next morning the bandage came off and the drainage tubes came out (bliss) and although my face was stretched like an over-inflated balloon I was only mildly uncomfortable – certainly not in pain. I was driven back to London by a friend. TIP 2: don’t try to drive for a few days after the op - apart from feeling a bit rough you can’t turn your neck easily and you do feel pretty wobbly. I went to bed in the velcro balaclava supplied, which I wore every night until the stitches came out in case I scratched them in my sleep. I found that normal paracetamol kept the dull ache around my temples and jaw at bay, and I had no problems sleeping propped up on three pillows.

TIP 3: Cold compresses – a bag of peas or a re-freezable gel eyemask – applied to your lower face feels fantastic when it’s a bit achey and, I think, helps to reduce the swelling. I also took arnica for a week before the procedure and until all the bruising had gone, for about two weeks afterwards, and I applied arnica cream to my face and neck daily after the operation. I normally bruise like a peach but apart from one bruise on my right cheek and some yellowness around my neck and under my eyes for about a week, that was it. So I’m convinced it all helped. The overall swelling started to reduce on about the fourth day, and each day as that ‘stretched’ feeling receded I felt far more comfortable.

I had all my stitches removed by Mr Guest in one go after 10 days but I had got very used to them and they didn’t cause me any discomfort at all - I had cleaned the wounds and applied the ointment regularly and it all healed very quickly from then on.

It is now three weeks post-op and apart from a bit of lumpiness under one cheekbone and a rather numb and ‘solid’ feeling around my jawline and in front of my ears, I feel totally normal, and it’s improving every day. I have a slightly dimpled pale pink line in front of my hairline at my temples which is easily hidden by my hair and a bit of makeup, and the incision lines in front of my ears are practically invisible already. My jowls have all but disappeared – my slightly soft jawline is actually the same as it was in my 30s so my face has a natural look - I certainly don’t look like I’ve had a facelift, which was my worst fear! And it’s only three weeks on so I’m sure there’s still some swelling to go down and I’ve been told that things will tighten and change a bit more in time.

I went out for supper with my best friend of 20 years last night, who didn’t know I had had the AMF done - and she just said she thought I was looking great and had I lost weight? I can’t believe that three weeks after surgery I look so good and no one would guess why!!

I now look like the ‘me’ I remember, not the one I’ve hated seeing in the mirror for the past few years, and I couldn’t be happier: I would do it all again if I had to, without a second thought - a few days discomfort in exchange for looking 10 years younger? It was certainly worth it for me. TIP 4: take a series of before, during and after photos throughout your recovery because you quickly get used to looking so much better and it's easy to forget how much, and how quickly, you've changed!

I do hope this helps anyone considering this procedure. No, you don’t get the results of a full face lift. But that would cost three times as much, take three times as long to heal, involve a general anaesthetic and you would probably end up with the proverbial ‘wind tunnel’ look. In my opinion this really is a fantastic and less drastic alternative. It does everything it promises to do, no more and no less, and I am SO glad I took the plunge.

SMC

Hi SMC,

Brilliant post, you have put me at ease with myself as I am having my AMF on 5th April so all your tips have been very useful. Would you be kind enough to send me some before and after photos please. I am 47 so it will be nice to see some photos of someone that had it done around the same age as me.

thank you so much.

smbfit@hotmail.co.uk

Return to “Advanced Mini Facelift”